Thursday, March 18, 2010

Buying my new home

"The farmer takes a wife....the farmer takes a wife....hi ho the dairy o the farmer takes a wife"

Buying a home in today's market is much like the little ditty above....repetition, repetition, repetition.

For the first time in nearly a decade, I am in the market for a new home for ME. After years of helping clients find a home, it's surprising how it feels to do it for myself.

I have been below credit worthy. I have gone from bankruptcy years ago to building up my credit, to now being able to qualify for a home on my own. What an amazing journey that has been. And what amazing, useful knowledge it has given me as an agent.

To know how to restore your own credit....first hand....is so much more powerful than being a book smart agent who knows some little quips of information to share. I have fought the debt collectors to negotiate for pennies on the dollar. I have learned to pay down, but not pay off, credit card debt. I have fought to keep accounts open that they wanted to close, simply to keep the long credit line open in my file.

I have been having a ball looking at homes lately. Trying to determine how I can make MY furniture fit....how the sun impacts the bedroom in the morning.

Right now, I've got it down to my top 5 homes. All are really close in price, ammenities, locations, value, needs, etc. All have something to offer, and something to work on. And I am truly truly torn between each of the five.

I have always been respective of clients when they are trying to make such a valuable decision. I've always tried to remember that it's much more than just a commission, that it's their monthly bills, their daily lives, they're literal futures that they are deciding on that day, and it is my responsibility to give them the best facts that I can.

Within a few weeks, I'll be in one of these new homes (to me). I look forward to seeing what new experiences I come up with. Never killed my own lawn before. Looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment